The benefits of having your blog on your own website are similar to the benefits of having your own website which I listed in my last post. Having your blog on your own website means;
- you get to choose the blogging software you use
- you choose the URL of your blog
- it is more customisable than a free site
- there are no ads unless you choose to have them
- you are promoting yourself and your ‘blogging name or business name’ more fully
- you can back up your blog regularly
- you are the owner of the content you create – your writing, photos etc.
I use the WordPress blogging software for this blog. I installed it myself and yes I am a bit of a computer geek but it really isn’t very hard to install. One of the reasons I love and use WordPress is because I am a supporter of Free and Open Source Software. Here is a blurb about WordPress.
WordPress is Free and open source software, built by a distributed community of mostly volunteer developers from around the world. WordPress comes with some awesome, worldview-changing rights courtesy of its license, the GPL.
- You have the freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
- You have access to the source code, the freedom to study how the program works, and the freedom to change it to make it do what you wish.
- You have the freedom to redistribute copies of the original program so you can help your neighbor.
- You have the freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others. By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes.
My next blog post will be, “Installing WordPress On DreamHost With Their One Click Installer”.
Also thanks goes to Fi from Dance Skeletons. Fi uses Wylio – Free pictures for Bloggers on her blog and I was so impressed with her pictures that I had a look at it and decided to use it myself. Wylio provides you with free from cost and free from copyright pictures to use on your blog and it includes attribution to the creator of the picture. A very nice, handy tool.